Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blue Valentine

“I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry one girl. Cause we’re Resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think I’d be an idiot if I didn’t marry this girl she’s so great. But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option...‘Oh he’s got a good job.’ I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who’s got a good job and is gonna stick around.”


Bear with me on my writing here, but I wanted to post this while it was still fresh on my mind. I have heard the buzz from Blue Valentine for such a long time and finally got a chance to watch it last night. If you heard the hype about the acting, and how good it is then you heard right. Both actors were perfect for the part and play so well together in love that it is painful to watch their fall from grace. Sort of the classic case of guy who loves girl and girl who doesn't know what she wants. I read a critique the other day that basically said a great film, great acting but a hard one to view again or recommend and I think that is entirely true. This film will do all of the following, make you remember good feelings, bad feelings, the high points of love and the mundane but overall I think it was truely worth viewing expect to see them both up for the Academy Award.

Did you see it? What other movies do you recommend?

1 comment:

  1. See, this movie was way too depressing for me. It kept making me question whether romantic love actually exists or it's just some made up Hollywood bullshit. It was a great movie because it definitely provokes(partly due to how incredibly realistic it was).

    But personally, I like movies that leave me with a bit of hope. Best movie about "love" in my opinion--Eternal Sunshine. You've probably seen it though.

    ReplyDelete